CHRONIC PAIN AND ILLNESS SERVICES FOR PATIENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES
Chronic Pain & Illness can dominate every aspect of life. Physical, psychological, and spiritual functioning decline as the individual is immersed in pain or sickness or is living in fear of the next bout of pain/illness.
The once familiar “me” can be changed by pain/illness, leading to confusion, anger, fear, hopelessness, or depression. Chronic pain and illness can lead to chemical dependency and substance abuse.
Relationships suffer as the patient withdraws into a world of pain/illness. Loved ones may become resentful, guilty, and exhausted. New ways of defining life and care may have to be developed within the individual and the family.
- Family Members
Types of Services:
- Consultation and Coordination with Physicians and Other Providers
- Integrated Health Coaching with Duke-certified Integrated Health Coach (see separate web page)
- Mindfulness & Meditation Training
- Psychiatric Assessment & Psychotropic Medication Management
- Psychotherapy: Individuals, Couples, Family
- Referrals for Substance Abuse/Chemical Dependency Assessment & Rehab
- Spiritual Direction
- Substance Abuse Treatment Post-Rehab or Post Assessment if NOT Requiring Rehab
- 12-Step Program Support
Please see our News and Events page for programs we offer, including:
“The Body in Pain:
What Chronic Pain/Illness
Does to Individuals & Families”
“The Intersection of Chronic Pain/Illness and
Chemical Dependency and What To Do About It”
“Mindfulness & Meditation as Pain Management Strategies”