MONTHLY NEWSLETTER ARTICLES:
July 2017: LGBTQ & Questioning Youth, By Jennifer L. Kolb, MA
June 2017: Mindful Eating, By Charryse Johnson, MA
May 2017: Community, By Amanda W. Jamison, Psy.D
April 2017: Tai Chi, By Janet L. Athey, Ph.D
March 2017: Play Therapy, By Melissa Switek, MA, NCC, LPCA
October 2016: Change Your Mind, Change Your Brain, By Patricia Fisher, LCSW
September 2016: Marital Relationships: Providing an Effective, Respectful Response, By The Rev. Brant Piper, Pastoral Psychotherapist
August 2016: Managing Homework, by T. Shontelle MacQueen, Ph.D.
July 2016: Summer Sports, by John C. Simpson, Ph.D.
April 2016: Parenting Tips for Busy Parents, by Janet L. Athey, Ph.D
March 2016: Substance Induced Mental Disorders, by Vivian Campbell, M.D.
February 2016: Relationships and Conflict, by Bentley Ball, M.A., L.P.C.
January 2016: Sleep Health, by Kim L, Moseley, MSW, LCSW, Duke Certified Integrative Health Coach
December 2015: Coping with Holiday Stress, by Liz Hudson, M.A., L.P.A.
November 2015: Forgiveness, by Tammie Lesesne, M.A., L.P.C.
October 2015: Mourning Beyond the Loss, by Mary Gail Frawley-O’Dea, Ph.D, Executive Director, Counseling Center. Senior Licensed Psychologist, Psychoanalyst & Trauma Specialist
September 2015: Marriage Wellness Checkup, by Brandon Risher, M.A., L.P.A.; Licensed Psychological Associate
August 2015: Spiritually Integrated Psychotherapy, by Catherine Carstarphen, M.A., M.Div., D.Min.
July 2015: Teens & Parents, by John Simpson, Ph.D., Senior Licensed Psychologist
June 2015: Yoga & Anxiety, by Patricia (Tricia) Fisher, LSCW, RYT 200
May 2015: So You’re Getting Married? What to Talk About Before the Wedding, by The Rev. Brant Piper, M.A., M.Div.; NC Certified-Based Practicing Pastoral Counselor
April 2015: Using Sensory Integration to Treat Child & Adolescents, by Janet Athey, PhD
March 2015: Depressed About Anxiety? by Mary Christenbury, M.D
February 2015: Educating Young Adults about Sexual Assault Prevention, by Anne Payne, M.A., LPCA, NCC
January 2015: Setting and Living out New Year’s Goals, by Kim Moseley MSW, LCSW, Certified Integrative Health Coach
October 2014: The Emotional Work of the Sandwich Generation
September 2014: Sexual Abuse: Facts, Figures, Consequences, Healing
August 2014: Middle School Bullying: Preventing and Coping With It
July 2014: Career Counseling
June 2014: Military Families & Reuniting After Deployment
February 2014: The Psychology of Aging by Catherine Carstarphen, M. Div.
January 2014: Detecting Depression in Yourself and Others by John Simpson, Ph.D.
2013 Summer “Safety for Kids” Series (click here for articles)
Speaker’s Bureau and Community Programs
Our clinical staff members are available to educate the community on a broad range of developmental, educational, psychological, pastoral and mental health issues.
We speak to church groups, including Stephen Ministers; school groups of teachers or parents, physician practices and hospital grand rounds, and other community organizations. Call 704-554-9900 to ask about scheduling and fees. For listing of upcoming events, please see our events calendar. Some sample topics:
- Too Tired to Care: When Is Fatigue Really Depression and What to do About It
- The Child is the Parent: Coping with Caring for Aging Parents
- Ouch, My Back!: Coping with Chronic Pain
- One For the Road: When Is Drinking More Than Enough and What to Do About It
- From Oprah to the Nightly News: Sexual Abuse in Our Society, Its Consequences and How to Heal
- “I Ran Into A Door”: Domestic Violence in Our Community
- Watching the Clock: What To Do When You Can’t Sleep
- The Harm of Homophobia: Understanding and Intervening in Homophobia
About Children & Adolescents:
- Assessment as an Asset: The Value of Intellectual, Educational, and Psychological Testing and How To Know When Your Child Could Benefit
- Bullies, Victims, and Bystanders: Talking to Your Kids About Bullying
- The Charlotte Teen Drug Scene: What Parents Need to Know and What They Need to Do
- Fasting, Bingeing, and Stuffing: Eating Disorders Among Adolescents and How Parents Can Help
- Sex, Money & In-Laws: A Program for the Almost Married
- Do I Dare Try Again? Dating, Marriage and Family After Divorce
- Marriage & Reproduction: Marriage After Infertility, Miscarriage, Child Loss, or Post-Partum Depression
- The Long Good-Bye: Marriage Through Aging, Illness and Death